Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Devotional Wk. 1-2

Hello, gang. You know how we like to talk about the Sovereignty of God until it comes time to actually put it to the test? Well, I am in that place right now. I sit in a hotel room in Atlanta, GA facing the biggest audition of my life a scant few hours away and I have my doubts. At the end of the day, though, doesn't it say in Matthew 6 that "or how can you, by worrying, add one length to hair on your head? Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring enough trouble of it's own." (I paraphrased). Now, this doesn't mean I haven't done a little prep work, but it's nice to know that He is the Creator of the Universe and He has His best plan mapped out for me. So if I do well, He gets glory. If I don't, then He has some other way to glorify Himself. So nice to know that all I have to do is love Him with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength and then just relax and enjoy the ride. Wonder if He has Hollywood in my future? Chat it up - let's hear how you appreciate and apply the Sovereignty of God.......

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you're talking about, Chris. For me, it's becomes a trust issue. I know all day long (in my head) that God is sovereign - in control. It's as you said, when we must engage our hearts to "know" it as well. This, for me, speaks of trust. When I place my trust in God, it's like I am activating my head knowledge of His sovereignty. The trick is to practice this activation in every situation, and not just the ones that require my dependence on Him.

    Help me, Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Matt's comment, specifically the T-word. Appreciating and applying the Sovereignty of God is a straight-trust issue for me. Sounds like a simple word but I've learned that the seemingly simple truths are actually the most profound ones.

    I've walked with God for a very long time and it took awhile for my theology to start becoming my reality...to where it produces the fruit of peace, contentment, obedience, and joy even. It's still a continual growth-walk but certainly not those frustrating leaps & sprints that I've attempted so many times.

    Bottom line, I don't have to know it all; it gets tiring, overwhelming, and unbearable. I just have to trust Him, walking with Him in the details of daily life...enjoying His Presence -- which, for me, is not defined by a secret-place, goose-bumpy experience but rather a continual interaction & fellowship, thanksgiving for the "small" stuff, and talking about confusion, hurts & the icky stuff that needs confessing. Worrying & trying to figure it out robs us of the gift of enjoying Him "right here, right now."

    ReplyDelete